Visitors

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Support

Support.
It's a small word with a lot of meanings.
Support can be used in sentences to describe or explain physical endurance, mental or emotional encouragement, financial assistance or confirmation and endorsement of another.
Support usually comes with high expectations and some find themselves detesting the word. Support becomes a four letter word that should be cast out like demons.

Now I don't usually get on my soap box over this word but sometimes my feet are rebellious as they step up on that platform despite my objections.
My support issues stem more from the financial and encouragement definitions. It's called Child Support and those who owe it shudder when they hear the term while those that are owed swell with anger upon hearing those words.
I'm the latter of the two groups and although I don't swell with anger, I often find myself confused and dumbfounded over the lack of support. I have questions that I'm sure will remain unanswered until the end of time. Questions such as:

How do you spend days, months or sometimes even years without knowing what your child is doing? What fills your day so much that you are unable to pick up a phone or write a letter to find out how your child's day went, what they're interested in or how they're progressing in school?
As a parent, how can you become angry and resentful over the idea of having to give money to your child? I have not yet been able to make any sense out of this question. My kids suck money out of me on a daily basis. I sometimes feel like a mother dog trying to nurse a litter of 12. My boobs hurt and I'm tired of being the only one around who can provide the essential nutrients but guess what? I don't get up and walk away or refuse to feed their emotional and physical needs. I stay and endure the sometimes overwhelming responsibility of parenthood. If you spend a little time with them, they're actually kind of funny and that humor can make up for the constant mooching they do. My kids really do make me laugh and I never find myself regretting any of my decisions or resenting any of the responsibility. My only regret is that their dad may never know the rewards of true parenting and to me that is a remorseful absence.
It's really not that bad. Providing and supporting other human beings on a daily basis can be the most rewarding task you'll ever complete in life. It isn't a burden, it's a blessing and it is such a shame that parents who have "moved on" will never discover this gift.
Child support - To support and nurture your offspring as necessary to provide them with the physical, emotional and financial security needed and to do so with the best of your ability.

2 comments:

Ambar said...

hi! aunque no pueda entender tu idioma, siento que sos una mujer muy intensa y sensible. Muy linda las fotos de tus hijos!
Que tengas una linda estadia en la Tierra!
Gracias por tu comentario en mi blog.y copia las imagenes!! jaja!

Shane Harmony said...

"How do you spend days, months or sometimes even years without knowing what your child is doing? What fills your day so much that you are unable to pick up a phone or write a letter to find out how your child's day went, what they're interested in or how they're progressing in school?"

I am fascinated that you have asked this question Lisa! I just had a conversation with a friend this very morning over the same idea!!! I have known a couple of adults, who as children this happened to them when their mothers sort of just walked away while they were babies. It's sad to see the inner pain and self-loathing of these truly incredible people! They faced rejection at an early age from an important person in their lives, and are still struggling to cope. I find myself wanting to "save" them and hug away all their pain, to find a way to show them how truly amazing they are as people despite what they've gone through. But I can't save everyone, and sometimes that absolutely breaks my heart. :(
...I guess, it just goes back to doing your best, support as much as you can, give what you can, love as much as you can. ...I don't know, I truly don't know there's an answer to this... but I think I will forever be searching till I find one.